Friday, September 28, 2007

Been Thinking

I have been thinking and I think I have pretty much outed myself to my best friend last week.

Background:
A few months ago the aunt of my best friend, her husband was leaving for the navy. So they were having a going away dinner and my friend had asked me to make a few deserts for them. So I made a tiramisu, chocolate chip calzones and chocolate pistachio biscotti. A few weeks later I was at my friend’s house and her aunt came over, said thank you and that they really loved it. She also mentioned that when her husband comes back they are going to renew their vows and wanted the biscotti for give a ways. She asked me if I am able to make around 200 or so cookies and I said sure.

She emailed me asking if I had any ideas on how to pack the cookies to give them away. So last week I made some cookies and packed them a few different ways for her to choose from and they turned out really cute…haha.

And that got me thinking, what normal “straight” guy would make cookies and pack them all cute and crap. So if my friends had been questioning about me, and I don’t know if they have, I think I have pretty much confirmed it. I maybe looking too much into it, but I can’t help it.

8 comments:

J.R. said...

First, I don't think the case you're making here is going to be very convincing. It's the kind of "evidence" people use to rib you a little about "being gay" when they really don't believe it because they know it's not evidence of anything at all.

Second, if they are questioning maybe that's a good thing!

Nothing Golden Stays

Matt in Argyle said...

haha, I've often wondered if people ever try to connect my cooking/baking to me being gay. Personally I doubt it. Although in your case it probably depends on how pretty you made em!

Also, those all sound tasty. I want the recipes please!

Mike said...

Are you considering opening up a dessert or catering business? haha What are you going to make me? j/k

Hey... we could have a blogger cookout... I make the main dish, you make the desserts, JR brings the booze, and so on... I dunno.

I know lots of guys who aren't gay who like to cook- my dad, lots of neighbors who are men, and so on. Maybe gay guys are more into it and known for it, but I don't think you necessarily outed yourself.

Pete said...

Don't worry about it, doesn't mean anything.

Even though people might refer back to it when you come out to them (joke).

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Don't worry one of my straight friends who plays hockey, goes fishing and hiking, also loves to cook. He fusses for hours over what he makes but he is very straight, I on the other hand suck at cooking to the point I will never do it for another person.

J.R. said...

Hey! Why am I the person who brings the booze??

Nothing Golden Stays

W said...

COC! if you were only closer to where I live, I would feast on your cakes very often. I can feast with impunity and I still resemble a stick! Yay me! Yay the worms in my stomach that eat the excess food!

But seriously, keep baking like a champ.Send a few more cheescake recipes my way or even better fax me a cake! Ppl might rib you about baking, but hey most of the chefs are guys and most aren't gay or maybe they are?Who cares.

Great job helping out your friend's fam.

dit said...

Sounds like you have a mini business on your hands. Congratulations on that. baking is a real talent.

As far as being "outed" I agree with Pete, I would not worry about it. They will most likely look back on it when you come out.