Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Daddies Little Girl

Yesterday afternoon, my aunt had asked me to take her to the pre-school because she needed to drop off some paper work for my little cousin. While she was handling her business in the front office, I was carrying my other little cousin around; she is about 10 months old. I was walking around and a lady came up to me and said “Ahh so precious, daddies little girl.” and continued asking me questions about her. So I just answered her questions acting as though I was her father. But this is not the first time that people thought I was the father, it happens all the time when I take out my little cousins.

After I got to thinking, I started getting a little depressed/sad. I wonder, in the future, will I ever be able to be a father. I love kids, but just don’t want any right now, because I also love giving them back to their parents after spending a day with them. But I am just wondering 10-15 years down the line, if I want kids, how is that going to be possible. And I know there is always adoption and what not, but I don’t know what the laws are with gays adopting as well as the effect it will have on the child.

I know I am still young and don’t need to be thinking about things like this for a while, but I just can’t help it, I really makes wonder.

5 comments:

J.R. said...

I don't ever foresee myself wanting kids, but I'm still bothered by the fact that, if I did want them, it's harder for me to have them.

Ah well. I don't think I want them.

Nothing Golden Stays

W said...

COC, things like this bother me too.But I always reassure myself, that I'll cross the bridge when I come to it.

JR, You can always artificially inseminate someone. Science has been kind to us folks.

Matt in Argyle said...

I also don't know if I ever really envision myself wanting kids, I wonder if it would really be for me. Who knows at somepoint I might. Undoubtly it would be harder for me to have kids (either adpted or artificial insemination), but this is not what really worries me.

What really worries me is what my mom will do when she finds out, she has made no secret her desire to be a grandmother someday.

Pete said...

This is one thing I have always known about myself: no kids. Ever. Me and kids just don't get along.

But if you do want them, I commiserate. Yes, there are plenty of options, but it wouldn't be as easy as a normal natural pregnancy.

J.R. said...

Yeah, I know there are options... but none are as easy and "the same" as a natural pregnancy.

Nothing Golden Stays